Contact UsMap ServermyPlanningLogin
Malta Environment & Planning Authority - www.mepa.org.mt

Print Page

HomeSeperatorInfo and ParticipationSeperatorOne WorldSeperatorParish churchesSeperatorOur Lady of Perpetual Soccour and St. Gregory, Kercem

Our Lady of Perpetual Soccour and St. Gregory, Kercem

Parish Church dedicated to Our Lady of Perpetual Succour and St Gregory the Great
Triq San Girgor, Kerċem

KercemKerċem evolved into a village community around a chapel dedicated to Pope St. Gregory the Great built in the late 16th century. The chapel was replaced by the present parish church built in the mid 19th century. Its foundation stone was laid following a procession on the feast of Saint Gregory on 12 march 1846 with its design attributed to Dun Salvatore Bondi. It was later enlarged to its present state between 1906 -1910.

The elevated façade with a grand stairway leads to the main portal.  The large central bay is slightly protruded and consists of two pilasters on each side with Ionic capitals with garlands. The main portal has thickened mouldings topped by a curved pediment. 

Above the portal is a large empty niche topped again by a large triangular pediment with a statue of St. Gregory at the top.

The two narrow side panels have an identical pilaster on the external corner and a half pilaster on the inside. A thick cornice and frieze separate the bell-towers that consist of four identical Composite pilasters with a balustraded rail in the opening.  Both bell towers are crowned with an elaborate pinnacle surrounded with a balustrade on each side, and finials on each corner.

The Malta Environment and Planning Authority scheduled the parish church as a Grade 1 monument on 26th August 2011 as per Government Notice 782.