Contact UsMap ServermyPlanningLogin
Malta Environment & Planning Authority - www.mepa.org.mt
Print Page

HomeSeperatorProjects and InitiativesSeperatorInternational Funding and ProjectsSeperatorInternationally Funded Projects at MEPASeperatorInterreg IVCSeperatorRegions for Sustainable Change

Regions for Sustainable Change

Solar Panels The Regions for Sustainable Change (RSC) project was part funded by the EU Interreg IVC programme which aims to improve the effectiveness of regional development policies and contribute to economic modernisation and increased competitiveness of Europe by means of interregional cooperation. All major deliverables have been achieved and the project will officially close on 31st December 2011.

Launched in October 2008, this three-year long project has seen the collaboration of 12 organisations from 8 different EU countries including Hungary, the UK, Spain, Italy, Poland, Austria, Bulgaria, and Malta in an effort to develop the potential of regional development programmes to stimulate mitigation and adaptation to climate change.

The project was led by REC – Regional Environmental Centre for Central and Eastern Europe based in Szentendre, Hungary. The total budget for this project was € 2.1 million of which MEPA’s share was € 121,267. 85% of the budget allocation for MEPA was provided by the EU, while the other 15% was provided by MEPA.

During the project final conference held recently in Cornwall, UK, participants had the opportunity to discuss the major achievements of the RSC project, amongst which are the key deliverables produced and tested during the project period by the various participating organisations. These consist of a number of innovative, easy-to-use tools for all regions that are striving towards a low-carbon, climate-friendly economy. Of major interest to regions approaching the task of establishing baseline models, or seeking to monitor a region's progress in low-carbon development, is the Regional Climate Confidence Index (RCCI), an innovative tool developed during the project which allows Regions to carry out a periodic self-assessment. A further example of the series of tools developed by the RSC Project is the Prioritising Actions for a low-Carbon Economy (PACE) tool, which examines the cost efficiency of possible adaptation and mitigation measures by comparing the impact on costs, jobs created, and carbon savings.

The final publication of the RSC project is the methodological handbook ‘Building a low-carbon economy: A handbook for European regions’ designed to help and inspire regional bodies throughout Europe to shift towards low-carbon development.

Within MEPA this project was coordinated by the International Projects Team within the Director's Office. More information about the project, its activities and deliverables can be found on the project’s website.

 



 

INTERREG IVC Programme – Regions for Sustainable Change
Cohesion Policy 2007 - 2013
Innovation and Environment
Regions of Europe Sharing Solutions

This project is being co-financed by the European Union
European Regional Development Fund (ERDF)
Co-financing rate: 85% EU Funds; 15% National Funds

Investing in your future