The Malta Railway starting point was at the Valletta Station which was located above ground at the present Misraħ il-Ħelsien. A large, rock-hewn underground tunnel (10.7 metres beneath the square) served as a terminus. The viaduct (bridge) spanning the Grand Ditch was originally of wood but was replaced by a stone and cement bridge for a twin track in 1891.
Some of the original metal railings and lower section of the cast iron gas lamp-posts are still extant. Rail tracks are still visible on the viaduct. The bridge has no particular use at present and the tunnel extending to Floriana is blocked a few meters from the entrance.
The first viaduct was constructed of wood on instructions of the War Office which could be destroyed for defence purposes. The later one made of masonry and concrete could have been built by FAB Geneste who were responsible for the construction of the railway line in late 1880 and 1881.
MEPA scheduled the bridge and tunnel of the Malta Railway as Grade 1 national monuments as per Government Notice number 276/08 in the Government Gazette dated 28 March 2008.