TAIEX aims to provide to the new Member States short-term technical assistance, in line with the overall policy objectives of the European Commission, and in the field of approximation, application and enforcement of EU legislation.
The following are TAIEX missions that MEPA embarked on (with assistance from the EU and Multilateral Affairs Unit) and were successfully completed to date:
TAIEX missions completed in 2004:
1. "Consultancy on the integration of environmental and land use planning legislation". This mission assisted MEPA in preparing a specification for the updating of environmental and land-use planning legislation in Malta to take into consideration the integration of these governmental functions. The project was completed in May 2004.
2. "Consultancy on the administrative capacity of MEPA to implement the EU environmental Acquis". This mission provided expert advice and consultancy services to review the existing administrative capacity of MEPA in its area of direct responsibility to implement the EU environmental Acquis. This project was completed in May 2004.
3. "The preparation of a Terms of Reference for Malta's 2005 State of the Environment (SoE) Report". This mission as its title implies, assisted MEPA with the preparation of a Terms of Reference for Malta's 2005 State of the Environment (SoE) Report, in line with the requirements and advice given by the European Environment Agency (EEA). This project was completed in June 2004.
4. "The organisation of a seminar dedicated to the 25th anniversary of Birds Directive". Two expert speakers delivered a series of presentations during a national workshop dedicated to the 25th anniversary of the implementation of EU Birds Directive 79/409/EEC. The seminar was held in December 2004.
TAIEX missions completed in 2005:
5. "Consultancy on the development of an inventory of hazardous waste". This mission provided MEPA with expert advice and assistance on the development of an inventory of hazardous waste arising across the various sectors of industry. The project was completed in June 2005.
6. "Consultancy on the Implementation of the SEA Directive". This mission provided MEPA with advice, assistance and training on the implementation of the SEA Directive. The project was completed in November 2005.
7. "Assistance in the implementation of the National Emissions Ceilings Directive". This mission provided MEPA with expert advice to satisfy reporting requirements for the National Emission Ceilings Directive 2001/81/EC which consists of the compilation of emissions inventory and projections. This training has enabled MEPA staff to carry out this inventory in an independent manner, thus satisfying yearly reporting obligations. The project was completed in December 2005.
TAIEX missions completed in 2006:
8. "Technical assistance to establish a Green Public Procurement System" This mission assisted MEPA in organising meetings with working group members and stakeholders and in drawing up terms of reference for the drafting of a National Green Public Procurement Action Plan. The project was completed in February 2006.
9. “Practical training in SEA procedures including different methodologies and SEA approaches” This mission provided MEPA with practical training in Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA) procedures including different methodologies and SEA approaches. The project consisted in a study visit by two MEPA officers that was completed in April 2006.
10. “Assistance to national authorities in the implementation of the VOC-Solvents Directive” This mission assisted MEPA in the implementation of the VOC-Solvents Directive by providing expert knowledge on the implementation and interpretation of the directive. The project was completed in April 2006.
11. “Better Implementation of the IPPC Directive” This mission provided MEPA with advice and assistance on the implementation of Council Directive 96/61/EC concerning integrated pollution prevention and control (IPPC). The project was completed in September 2006.
12. “Obtain expert knowledge on the interpretation of the Environment Liability Directive” The project consisted of a five-day expert mission and a one-day workshop. Its aim was to assist national authorities in the transposition of Directive 2004/35/CE (Environmental Liability Directive) with regards to the prevention and remedying of environmental damage. The project was completed in September 2006.
13. “Development of Malta's National Action Plan on Green Public Procurement” This study visit assisted MEPA in developing Malta's National Action Plan on Green Public Procurement (GPP) and to develop technical specifications and selection criteria for use in the green procurement process. The project was completed in October 2006.
TAIEX missions completed in 2008:
14. “Hosting of a Study Visit on waste management in a small Mediterranean island”. This time, MEPA hosted a study visit for Turkish Cypriot Community officials involved in setting waste management policies. These officials had a first-hand view at the policies and practical measures that another small Mediterranean island has set in place to address its waste management problems. This study visit has looked closely at the role of municipalities in ensuring solid waste management and disposal, as well as how a small island addresses the problem of special waste. The project was completed in November 2008.
These projects have been realised with the
financial assistance of the European Union