Parish Church dedicated to St Andrew, Misraħ Sant’Andrija, Luqa
Luqa became a parish on the 15th June 1634, and through the efforts of the first parish priest and the local parishioners, plans were set upon to build a new church to replace the existing one built in the mid 16th century. The new parish church dedicated to St Andrew was completed in the late 17th century. Soon after the church was enlarged and then again in the period between 1901 and 1910.
Unfortunately the church was heavily bombed during World War II. In his book, Works of Art in Malta, Losses and Survivals in the War (1946), Hugh Braun provides a descriptive summary; ‘The Parish Church of St. Andrew, dating from 1650, is an utter wreck. The whole of the north side is gone, the dome and roofs have collapsed, and the north-western tower has been split and blasted; huge buttresses of stone rubble have piled up in an attempt to save it from collapse, but it will have to be entirely taken down and rebuilt. Surrounded by ruin, the wreck of this monument presents a particularly awe inspiring spectacle; it is going to be a very long and costly matter to rebuild it.’
Designed by architect Indri Micallef, the church was rebuilt some 10 years later with the works attributed to stone mason Ġeraldu Spiteri.
The Malta Environment and Planning Authority scheduled the parish church as a Grade 1 monument on 26th August 2011 as per Government Notice 782.