Contact UsMap ServermyPlanningLogin
Malta Environment & Planning Authority -
Print Page

HomeSeperatorProjects and InitiativesSeperatorInternational Funding and ProjectsSeperatorInternationally Funded Projects at MEPASeperatorInterreg IIICSeperatorMEDPAN


 The project "Mediterranean Protected Areas Network - MEDPAN" was financed by Interreg IIIC South Zone, which was a Community Initiative supported by the European Regional Development Fund. This programme aimed to promote interregional co-operation between regional and other public authorities across the entire EU territory and neighbouring countries.

The project aimed to establish a network of managers of marine protected areas (MPAs) in the Mediterranean. The overall objective of the network is the conservation of biodiversity and ecosystems through the improvement of the management of marine protected areas in the Mediterranean.

Apart from project management and coordination, the project had three main components. The first component was related to the organization of seminars that took place on site of different Mediterranean MPAs. The second component consisted of studies that partners conducted on their respective MPAs. The third component was the communications component where partners produced information material on the project such as electronic newsletters and press releases.

Through this project, MEPA has proposed the development of a protocol to study Pinna nobilis populations as a management tool which all partners forming part of this project may apply to their MPA.  The application of this protocol was intended to gather baseline data against which future monitoring data will be compared to demonstrate the effectiveness of protection measures within the MPA Rdum il-Majjiesa to Ras ir-Raheb, and as a pilot project for the application of this protocol.

The project was led by WWF France and had a total budget of €1.6 million, of which MEPA’s share was €64,000.  75% of the budget allocation for MEPA was provided by the EU, while the other 25% was provided by MEPA. The project was concluded in 2007.

Within MEPA, the project was coordinated by the Ecosystems Management Unit with assistance from the EU and Multilateral Affairs Unit. More information about the project, its activities and deliverables can be found on the project's website.

What are the benifits of marine protected areas?
What can I do for marine protected areas?
What is a marine protected area?

Management Tool-Protocol for Monitoring Pinna nobilis, Parts 1 and 2 respectively


Pinna nobilis poster (English and Maltese)
  MEPA obtains EU funds for Marine Protection- 25/05/2006 



INTERREG IIIC - Structural Funds Programme for Malta 2004-2006
Project co-financed by the European Union
European Regional Development Fund (ERDF)
Co-financing rate: 75% EU Funds; 25% Government of Malta