The "DEDUCE" project was funded by Interreg IIIC South Zone programme, which is a community initiative supported by the European Regional Development Fund. This programme aimed to promote interregional co-operation between regional and other public authorities across the entire EU territory and neighbouring countries.
One of the main outcomes of the DEDUCE project was the establishment of a network of excellence in coastal management and the use of Geographic Information Systems (GIS). The DEDUCE Network is based on the application of the EU Recommendation on Integrated Coastal Zone Management (ICZM) adopted by the European Council and Parliament in 2002. The key objective of the network is to enhance the visibility of coastal information to enable optimum decision-making.
During project implementation a set of 27 sustainability indicators related to ICZM were calculated to all the partners who developed a methodological framework to calculate these indicators. They also identified their application at different levels of decision-making: from the European level to the national level and down to the local level. This involved the collection of necessary coastal data, its analysis using Geographic Information Systems and preparation of fact sheets for each indicator.
Regional workshops were carried out in all partner countries. Malta organized a workshop in October 2006.
The methodologies used for calculating coastal indicators have helped MEPA improve on its work and also to provide information to other entities. Some of the methodologies have been adopted for the preparation of the SOER whilst the skills developed in the project (data analysis of coastal issues and developing links between different data sets) are continuously in use to date in work related to climate change adaptation as well as assessment of development proposals on the coast. It is expected that the DEDUCE results and methodologies will help MEPA to developing its work to meet the obligations on the Marine Strategy Framework Directive.
Partners from Belgium, France, Lithuania, Malta, Poland and Spain shared a total budget of €1.7 million, of which MEPA’s share was €219,250. 75% of the budget allocation for MEPA was provided by the EU, while the other 25% was provided by MEPA. The project was concluded in 2007.
Within MEPA, the project was coordinated by the Climate Change and Marine Policy Unit with assistance from the Information Resources Team within the Directorate of Corporate Services and the EU and Multilateral Affairs Unit. More information about the project, its activities and deliverables can be found on the project’s website http://www.deduce.eu/.
| ||Deduce Indicators Guidelines|
|Newsletter 1 |
|Newsletter 2 |
| ||Newsletter 3 |
| ||Deduce Bookmarks |
| || |
INTERREG IIIC - Structural Funds Programme for Malta 2004-2006
Project co-financed by the European Union
European Regional Development Fund (ERDF)
Co-financing rate: 75% EU Funds; 25% Government of Malta