Contact UsMap ServermyPlanningLogin
Malta Environment & Planning Authority -
Print Page

HomeSeperatorTopicsSeperatorHeritageSeperatorFrequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What works can be carried out to/within protected (scheduled) property?
A. There is no one way to define what works can be carried out to a protected (scheduled) property. This is determined on a case by case basis. If you are thinking of submitting a planning application for some form of development to your property we can assist you prior to submitting an application and provide guidance as to what may be considered acceptable works, provided any works at all are acceptable.

Q. Is a planning application required to carry out works to protected (scheduled) property?
A. Development consent is required for all protected (scheduled) property.

Q. Can any works be carried out to/within protected (scheduled) property without development consent?
A. As above. Development consent is required for all protected (scheduled) property. However, in the case of scheduled natural heritage, traditional activities such as agriculture (within legally established arable holdings - that is, not illegally reclaimed) may continue to be pursued without the need for any scheduled property consent.

Q. How can I check if my property is protected (scheduled)?
A. You can check if your property is scheduled by accessing the Malta Scheduled Property Register on this website.

Q. If I would like to purchase a property and check whether it is protected (scheduled) how can I do this?
A. You can check if your property is scheduled by accessing the Malta Scheduled Property Register on this website.

Q. What are buffer zones?
A. Buffer zones protect the setting of the scheduled property. No development will be allowed which would adversely affect the natural setting of these areas. Buildings within buffer zones are not automatically scheduled in their own right, unless they have been scheduled individually.

Q. How will scheduling affect my property in Archaeological and Ecological sensitive areas?
A. Development in these areas will be limited to activities that are considered essential and do not impinge on the value of the scheduled property. Most existing traditional land uses, such as agriculture, are allowed to continue within these areas if they are considered as non-detrimental to the conservation of the heritage assets in the area.