Collegiate Parish Church dedicated to St Helen
Pjazza Santa Liena, Birkirkara
The imposing and monumental parish church of St Helen is considered by many to be one of the finest examples of Baroque architecture on the island. The design, attributed to Salvu Borg and built between 1727–1745 is situated within the centre of Birkirkara. The church overlooks a conical shaped open square which in turn is engulfed by dense urban low rise buildings further accentuating its grand status.
The façade is divided into three bays with pairs of superimposed decorative Corinthian pilasters further accentuating the divisions. The upper part of the façade is reduced in height to the lower façade separated by a plain set of intermediate entablature. A further set of entablature finishes off the upper façade and provides a base for the low height bell towers and centrepiece.
It is believed that the architect of the church, Salvu Borg, was an understudy to Lorenzo Gafa during the construction of the parish church of St Paul in Rabat. The façade is believed to be modelled after Gafa’s Mdina Cathedral.
The Malta Environment and Planning Authority scheduled the parish church as a Grade 1 monument on 26th August 2011 as per Government Notice 782.