Parish Church dedicated to St Philip of Aggira
Misraħ San Filippu, Ħaż-Żebbuġ
Zebbug is one of the ten parishes which were already in existence in 1436, however the present parish church dedicated to St Philip of Aggira was built around the turn of the 17th century. Over the following century, various parts of the church interior were transformed by Baroque ornamentation. In particular, the altars of the transept chapels acquired highly-ornate reredos with a high concentration of decoration and free-flowing statuary giving the chapels a theatrical quality.
The façade of St Philip was built around 1635, although there were also a number of later additions such as the broken segmental pediment that crowns the central bay. The façade with its three-tiered symmetrical square towers exhibit subdued Baroque qualities. Stylistically, its façade is related to other late Renaissance parish churches in Malta, such as those of Tarxien and Qormi.
Hugh Braun described this church in Works of Art in Malta, Losses and Survivals in the War (1946) as a fine building with a richly ornamented interior.
The Malta Environment and Planning Authority scheduled the parish church as a Grade 1 monument on 26th August 2011 as per Government Notice 782.